RULES OF THE COVINGTON STREET HOCKEY LEAGUE, by HOCKEY FOR
- The Name of the League shall be the Covington Street Hockey League and is operated by
Hockey for Covington, LLC.
- The object of the League shall be the promotion of the Community and League, and the
playing of Hockey.
The Executive Committee
- The Executive Committee shall consist of the Commissioner, League Coach, League
Captain, Secretary Chairman of Development and Fundraising, Marketing Executive, the
Treasurer, Social and Field Chairman, Merchandising Executive, Recruiting Chairman,
and the Media Executive. The Executive Committee may co-opt not more than two
- The Executive Committee shall meet during the season at least once a month, and at such
other times as occasion may require, three Committee members minimum, to form a
quorum. The Executive Committee shall have power to deal with all the business of the
League. They shall see that correct accounts and books are kept, showing the financial
affairs and receipts and disbursement of the League. Minutes shall be made in proper
books of all resolutions and proceedings of the Committee.
- The Executive Committee shall have power to fill any vacancy which may arise in their
number. They may also fill any vacancy which may arise in the Clubs (Teams) Selection
Committee and may appoint Chairmen of such sub-committees as may from time to time
be necessary. The Chairman of a sub-committee may appoint members to that subcommittee,
and shall subsequently report the names of such members to the Executive
The Executive Committee shall have power to borrow for the purpose of the League, and
the Trustees shall have power, with the authority of the Executive Committee, to pledge
the League’s assets and property as security for such borrowing.
- The Commissioner, for the time being, at any meeting of the League or its Committees
and subcommittees, shall have the right to exercise a casting vote in addition to his
- The property of the League shall be vested in not fewer than two Trustees who shall be
elected at a General Meeting and each shall hold office until he/she shall resign, be absent
from the U.S.A. for one year, cease to be a member of the League, or, for such or other
reason be removed from office by a resolution passed at a General or Special General
Meeting of the League. Should a Trustee cease to act as such, for whatever cause, and
thereby the Trustees are reduced to not more than one in number, the Executive
Committee shall, pending the election of a new Trustee or Trustees at the next General
Meeting appoint a Trustee or Trustees to fill the vacancy or vacancies thus created.
- a) Nothing in this Rule shall preclude the Trustees from allowing any monies which
shall come into the hands of the Executive Committee to be retained by it or
retained under its control either in hands or in Bank, and to be applied by it for the
purposes of the League.
- b) No personal liability shall attach to any Trustee or Trustees except to the extent of
such property of the League as shall actually be received by him/her or them.
- The following Meetings shall be held each year:
(a) Two General Meetings — the first in the months May/June and the second in the
months of December/January.
(b) Such Special General Meetings as are convened in accordance with the Rules of
May/June General Meeting
- There shall be elected at the May/June General Meeting:
- a) The Executive Committee members referred to in Rule 3.
- b) If necessary, not less than two Trustees as provided under Rule 7.
- c) Two Honorary Auditors.
- d) The Captain of the League shall appoint the Captain of each Club within the
League for such period as he sees fit.
December/January General Meeting
- At the December General Meeting the Chairmen of the Executive Committee and the
other Officers of the League shall report to the members progress of the League for the
year to date and plans for the Spring Season.
Special General Meetings
- A Special General Meeting may be called at the request of the Executive Committee
(more than half the members) or on a requisition to the Secretary Chairman of
Development and Fundraising (or Commissioner) signed by at least six full and playing
members in good standing of the League, stating the business to be brought forward, and
such a Meeting shall be held within four weeks of receipt by the Secretary Chairman of
Development and Fundraising (or Commissioner) of the requisition calling the Meeting,
and at least 3 days’ notice shall be given to each member, specifying the place of meeting
and the business to be transacted.
- The quorum necessary for General or Special General Meetings shall be thirty percent of
the full and playing members or Executive Committee Members.
Alternate Rules of the League
- No new rule or alteration of the General Rules shall be made except at either of the
General Meetings as defined by Rule 8 or at a special General Meeting summoned for
that purpose (unless the majority of the Committee members agree on the changes, until
the league requires less flexibility). Notice of intention to propose the making of or
altering such rule or rules shall, in either case, be delivered to the Secretary Chairman of
Development and Fundraising of the League at least three days before the holding of such
meeting and shall in the case of a General Meeting be posted by him at all of the
League’s media outlets at least three days before the date of such General Meeting, and
no further notice shall be sent to members.
In the case of a special General Meeting notice of intention to propose the making or
altering such rule or rules shall be posted to all League’s media outlets three days before
the date of such special General Meeting.
No rule shall be made or altered at any of the said Meetings without a majority of those
present entitled to vote and voting. These changes, and votes, may also be undertaken
electronically given that all correct persons are informed and included.
Conditions of Membership
- Any person wishing to join the League’s Executive Committee must be proposed and
seconded by members. The names, addresses, email addresses, and primary telephone
numbers of all proposed as new members shall be handed to the Secretary Chairman of
Development and Fundraising, who shall put them before the next Executive Committee.
The Executive Committee shall proceed to elect them or not by popular vote.
- Only Playing Members, Honorary Life Members and Full Members are entitled to vote at
General Meetings, as defined by Rule 8. All other classes of members may attend such
Meetings but may not vote.
Only Playing Members, Honorary Life Members and Full Members may become
Officers of the League or serve on the Executive Committee.
This rule shall take precedence in respect of interpretation over any statement or
implication that may be made now, or by subsequent amendment, elsewhere in the Rules
of the Covington Street Hockey League.
- The Annual Subscription of members shall be determined by the Executive Committee
with the following accessed:
Playing Members — Over 18 years old –Full
Full Members –Full
Associate Members — Per head of family –2/5 Full
School children Members — Full-time attendance at school –Free
Country and Overseas Members — Residence minimum of 100 miles from Covington –1/10 Full
(Associate Members and Country and Overseas Members are entitled to use the facilities
and attend League functions. These privileges include their wives and children under 18
years, or girlfriends. They aren’t entitled to vote in League elections or meetings. School
children members are entitled to play hockey but are not entitled to vote in League
elections or meetings.)
- a) Playing members are defined as those persons over 18 years of age who play
hockey, or make themselves available to play hockey, for the League.
- b) Persons who have played hockey for the League but no longer wish to play the
game are entitled to become Full Members if they so wish.
- c) The Executive Committee have discretion to elect persons as Full Members,
having regard to their past or potential future contributions to the game of Hockey
and commitment to our Mission and Goals.
- The Executive Committee shall have power to elect Honorary Life Members and
Honorary Members from time to time as they think fit.
- Should any member conduct themselves in a manner that, in the opinion of the Executive
Committee, is derogatory to the League, that Committee may call on him/her for an
explanation, and if they think fit, remove such person from membership without any
obligation to refund him/her subscription.
- That as the payment of their subscription will entitle each member to enjoy the benefits
of the League, so it is to be considered as distinctly implying his acquiescence in the
Rules of an institution to which he thus voluntarily attaches himself, as well as his
submission to the restrictions they enjoin and the penalties they exact.
- The League shall be named Covington Street Hockey League. Clubs within the league
may adopt different names if they wish, the choice to be approved by the Executive
Committee. Only the Executive Committee may alter any name subsequently chosen by
the clubs in the League.
- In the case of any dispute as to the interpretation of these Rules, the decision of the
Executive Committee shall be deemed final.
Display of Rules
- These rules shall be printed and a copy of them posted on all of the League’s media